Park at the House of Culture Hlučín
revitalisation of a park
Authors: Petr Doležal, Tomáš Bindr
Civil engineering: Tomáš Mička
Project year: 2015
Area: 12 160 m2
Client: City Hlučín
The House of Culture was built in 1957-1958 according to a design by architect Evžen Tošenovský, including a formal forecourt, thanks to which the construction along Ostravská Street was rehabilitated. By removing the soil and creating the principle of ziggurat, the foreground was conceived as an accentuation of the monumentality of the cultural house. It was an example of an ideology that not only did not respect the human being, but deliberately raped him. The forecourt disrespected pedestrian links and divided the north-eastern and south-western parts of the park.
By removing the existing forecourt of the community centre, including a pair of carriageways, and restoring the original landform, we connected the north-east and south-west parts of the park. At the same time, we have made the community centre more involved in the space, in the life of the park. We are taking advantage of the views from the park and from the front of the KD of the historic core and the towers of the churches of St. John the Baptist and St. Margaret.